Saturday, July 18, 2009

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

How do I review a movie that requires countless backstory in order for it to make any sense...?

Hopefully I won't need to address the issue since nearly everyone should have seen the previous five movies and/or have some recollection of the harry potter franchise unless you've been stuck under a rock (almost said troll for horrible harry potter pun) for the past 10 odd years. Some reviews complain that the movie is not for the "uninitiated" REAAAAAAAALLLLYYYY. What would be your first clue?

Past that, the movie starts out nearly directly where the previous installment left off. Harry has lost his godfather and Lord Voldemort is back in power wreaking havoc on any/all unsuspecting Muggles, Witches, and Wizards. In sight of this, Harry seems almost too calm for a major part of the movie. Voldemorts murdering innocent civilians and terrorizing the wizarding world...and Harry just sits back and goes to school. =\

Unlike some people I've talked to, I actually enjoyed this chapter of the Harry Potter movie franchise. Sure there wasn't as much action as previous movies and there are some changes from the book, however, I feel that the flow as a whole makes up for it. School still continues for the trio, but there is an eering feeling thoughout the movie that foreshadows the thrilling, sad conclusion. Harry, Ron, and Hermionie all have their differences, but come through together, setting the scene nicely for the last two movies to be released.

The only major problem I had is subtle to most people but for some reason it bugged me...I only noticed it about an hour into the movie (yes 2 hours 40 minutes is a loong time sitting down I know...just ask my leg when it wakes up) Either the make-up crew forgot or it was just his hair covering it...but I couldn't find a trace of Harry's scar. Only when he brought up the topic was the scar very clearly seen. Most other scenes the scar seemed almost non-existant.

Other than that subtle error I thoroughly enjoyed the sixth movie in the Harry Potter series. I look forward to the final two movies with optimism, since I believe the final installment is one of, if not the, best of the series. If you're a Harry Potter fan, you probably saw this movie opening night and posted on your blog about it by the time the credits started rolling. If you're not that big of a fan, I still suggest seeing the movie. Yeah they don't fight as much, but the story makes up for it and it certanly leads for a fantastic finish in the final two movies.

4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment